Monday, June 14, 2010

The Social Experiment

Okay. This may seem completely unethical on my part, but I did something that I don't plan on doing again. I created a fake male profile on the dating website that I use because I wanted to get some answers to some of the questions that I had: is it just as difficult for males to talk to females, as it is for me? I consider myself to be attractive, so I chose an attractive guy, not one who would be considered super super hot. Wow, I actually said that.

As a male, girls treat me differently. I messaged the same people that weren't talking with me and some that were and I got different responses. I'm still being ignored by a lot of females that I've messaged, which may lead me to assume that most females are very picky, but I also get a bigger more immediate response from those said few who are responding. Some of those that didn't respond to me when I was being myself, responded to "him". I can't help but wonder if most of the girls that are responding to me as a male are just more friendly than those that haven't responded at all. I mean, could it be possible that they're not messaging me more frequently because "I'm male", but simply because they feel like it? At the very least, I discovered that there is a lot more to this than I thought and I learned more about some of those that were ignoring me. Particularly, there is one girl that made plans with me, but has not responded about her "schedule". I messaged her as a guy and she told me/"him" that she always has free time. Not to mention that she likes males more. I've asked a few girls about this and, so far, I have received very generic bisexual responses: "50%-50%", "I don't have a favorite", "I like both", "It all depends", etc. This has been the social experiment and, I must say, I feel like I have accomplished a bit more than I expected. I am still very dissatisfied that there are so many girls that do not respond at all, but at least I can say that I learned from doing this :) I plan to delete this profile very soon. Now, I see how generalized this experiment was because it all depends on the person. Who's to say that some males aren't like this and a lot of females aren't like this? Everything depends on the meticulous, small and insignificant points of that person's dominant characteristics. I can't be that one-sided.

On the positive side, I have a date with someone tomorrow and I'm really excited about it. The instant we began talking I immediately liked her a lot. She gives off a very "feminine" (whatever that means, right?) and pleasant energy. I haven't been on a date in a few weeks, so this will be fun.

I filed a police report against the girl that stole my I.D. It's been almost a month and I'm thinking this is not cool. There is no excuse for this behavior. Hopefully, the police will deal with the entire situation because I have no idea how to handle it other than this. I don't even have transportation to get to her apartment. If I did I would have already tried that. So, I can safely say that I have learned from this experience and I will never ever hand over my I.D. to anyone that I don't know closely. Especially someone I'm dating. The more experiences I have, it seems the less trusting I become of people. I am cautious a lot of the time, but I'm not super careful when it comes to these things and I should be. I understand that.

I'm growing tired of the online game. For the past few weeks I've been "living" a lot more than I have in a while. Summer is here and I want to be actively participating in this life of mine. I don't want to deal with the bullshit of talking to people who give a shit less about me. What time have I for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment